STEER Voluntary Breath Testing "VBT" positively changes drink driving behaviour by making a person-to-person connection at the coalface i.e. where choices about safe celebrating and safe driving are made. STEER VBT volunteers offer patrons a free voluntary breath-test and offer patrons practical options for safe celebrating and driving.
Regional areas, and the Byron Shire particularly, are disadvantaged by a lack of safe transport options. This results in many young people, particularly males, choosing unsafe transport options. In the 5 years from 2005-2010 there were 1,367 reported crashes in Byron Shire involving 17-20 year olds (1). Alcohol is a contributing factor in 15% of fatal crashes for young drivers aged 17-25 (2). According to police, Tweed Byron LAC has ranked number one in NSW over the last three years for alcohol related crashes (3).
STEER Voluntary Breath Testing was initiated in 2013 with support from an Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal ABC Heywire Youth Innovation Grant and Transport for NSW.
1. Figures obtained from Road Traffic Authority (NSW): crashes in the 17-20 yr age group in Byron Shire from 1/7/2005 to 30/6/2010.
2. Figures obtained from Safer Drivers Course for Learners (RMS) crashes for young drivers aged 17-25, 2011.
3. From Northern Star 26th Nov 2015
"To positively change drink driving behaviour at festivals, community events & private functions likely to involve consumption of alcohol and driving. "
- increase awareness of standard drinks
- monitor number of standard drinks consumed
- increase awareness of estimated BAC
- increase awareness of alcohol processing by the body
- increase choice of safe celebrating options by those intending to drive;
- provide an accurate measure of BAC at festivals, community events and private functions;
- change behaviour of those intending to drive who test over their legal limit.
STEER provides voluntary breath-testing at major music Festivals:
- Falls Festival
- Bello Winter Music Festival
- Splendour in the Grass
- Mullum Music Festival
STEER provides voluntary breath-testing at community events such as:
- sporting fixtures
- music gigs
- community festivals
STEER provides voluntary breath testing for private functions such as:
- workshops and seminars
- Christmas parties
View PDF versions of STEER Voluntary Breath Testing Reports including the following surprising results:
STEER welcomes working with partners to positively change drink driving behaviour at major festivals, community events, private functions and presentations. For more information and a PDF version of the STEER Voluntary Breath Testing Partnership Proposal please CLICK HERE.